To manage and minimise the impacts of the Nam Ngiep 1 Hydropower Project on local people, NNP1 works with local and national authorities to meet guidelines set out by Lao law, in its Concession Agreement with the Lao Government, and as stipulated by the Asian Development Bank’s Safeguard Principles (http://www.adb.org/documents/safeguard-policy-statement).
The NNP1 Social Management Office works mainly with the Provincial Resettlement and Livelihoods Restoration Committee to:
- Consult with communities in the project area and with local authorities and build people’s wishes into the project design
- Ensure fair compensation for all people affected by the project, including for all ethnic groups and women
- Design and construct resettlement villages for people who need to move because of creation of the two reservoirs
- Design and manage livelihoods programs to help those people most affected by the project
- Implement programs to manage any impacts on people’s livelihoods around the reservoir and downstream of the dams.
To resolve any disagreements with stakeholders in an independent and fair manner, a grievance redress mechanism has been established. This mechanism has been designed following consultations with project-area people and local authorities, and based on lessons learned from other hydropower projects. Any person dissatisfied with the actions of the project or with its impacts on their environment and lives can register a complaint, initially at village level. Complaints will be heard and investigated by village committees and if the committee feels the Company must take action or issue further compensation, it will request this from the Company.
The Company’s Social Policy as below will be adhered to by all staff including top management:
- Avoid, minimize and manage social impacts, including without limitation, nuisance to local communities and affected people;
- Comprehensively implement occupational health and safety to protect community health and safety;
- Equally respect the rights of the different ethnic groups through the implementation of Free, Prior, Informed and Consent as well as ensuring fair treatment and compensation of different gender;
- Develop and implement livelihood development programmes for Project Affected People;
- Establish and monitor the Grievance Redress Mechanism for employees and communities;
- Promote continual improvement on social performance;
- Clearly communicate and train its staff and contractors to raise their awareness on social management related issues;
- Proactively encourage transparent communication and engagement among stakeholders to arrive at mutual benefits.