Nam Ngiep 1(NNP1) is a hydropower project under construction in the central provinces of the Lao PDR. The Nam Ngiep 1 Power Company (NNP1), co-owned by Kansai Electric Power of Japan, EGAT International of Thailand, and the Lao Holding State Enterprise, is building a 290-MW power plant to provide clean renewable electricity and contribute to poverty reduction in Laos. To assist in creating a world-class generating plant and implementing environmental and social programs in line with international standards, NNP1 is looking for the following staff.
- Support Team Leader in the preparation of Watersheds Management Strategy (WMS) Participatory Framework to outline the process for engagement with all key stakeholders.
- Review existing relevant documents, particularly the CA (annex C), environment management plan, and government related legislations;
- Prepare an “Integrated Landscape Map” for the Nam Ngiep Catchment to assist in the development of the Watershed Management Plan.
- Assist NNP1 team to collect all necessary information and develop a draft concept note of NNP1 Watershed Management Plan based on the principles outlined in the WMS.
- Working with the Catchment Specialist assist with the preparation of budgets, track and report expenditure on all matters relating to WMS, which includes CA items.
- Support Team Leader in the preparation of NNP1 Biomass Management Plan in accordance to Lao PDR requirements and ADB Environmental Safeguards Policy Statements.
- Conduct and participate in surveys, studies and investigations of various land uses, gathering information for use in developing corrective action plans. Perform significant field based activities supplemented by data and observations.
- Support Team Leader planning the soil management and conservation practices, such as reforestation, permanent vegetation, or other measures to maintain soil and conserve water.
- Working with consultants and institutions, undertake surveys of the Nam Ngiep watershed (Project Area) to determine the presence of additional endangered species that may need to be included in the Bio Offsets Program.
- Support the preparation of sub catchment plans in consultation with other EMO staff.
- Preparation of technical reports to ensure compliance with CA and EMMP - CP requirements.
- Prepare the relevant environmental documentation under the guidance of the Team Leader.
- Undertake regular and ad-hoc reporting according to the requirements of the position.
- Compute cost estimates of different conservation practices based on needs of land users, maintenance requirements and life expectancy of practices.
Qualification and Experience
- Graduated in environmental sciences/engineering, related discipline. Bachelor’s Degree would be looked upon favourably.
- At least 5 years of experience within the scope landscape management, environmental planning, hydrology-soil conservation, and or forestry.
- Organisational and interpersonal skills to liaise effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholder.
- Proven conceptual, analytical and problem solving abilities
- Proven extensive experience with planning, legislation, mitigation and policy in relation to watersheds and ecosystem management in
- Experience with hydropower projects and initiatives linking watershed management and facility operations.
- Considerable experience with strategic themes, directions, condition and network of watershed management in Lao PDR.
- Knowledge of Governance issues in watershed management, natural resources management, forestry and conservation in Lao PDR
- Proven experience with report writing - technical, planning and management.
- High level experience working with consultants, preparing work plans and overseeing outputs and quality.
Potential candidates are asked to submit an application letter including curriculum vitae (CV) and related documents with clearly mentioning the position applying for. Contact: HR Department via email: email@example.com or bring hard copy to our office house no: 236, unit: 16, Ban Phonsinuan, Sisattanak District, Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR. Telephone: 021 261 251 Fax: 021 261 252
Closing date for application is 29 April 2016. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview. For further information about the NNP1PC please go to our website: http://namngiep1.com